Listed below are award winners since 2010, the year of the formation of the BIA.
Click here to see list of award winners prior to 2010.
Barnett Christie Lectureship
2015 Dr Tim Walker, University of Oxford
Whole genome sequencing of M tuberculosis: how big a revolution?
2014 Dr David Eyre, University of Oxford
Whole genome sequencing in your lab - opportunity or distraction?
2013 Dr Dimitria Peppa, Mortimer Market Centre, CNWL NHS Foundation Trust
Killer cells in chronic Natural hepatitis B virus infection: Friend or foe?
2012 Dr Manish Pareek, University of Leicester
Immigrant screening for tuberculosis: a missed opportunity to improve tuberculosis control in the United Kingdom
2011 Dr Joe Jarvis, London
Novel Strategies for Treatment and Prevention of HIV-associated Cryptococcal Meningitis
2010 Dr Susanna Dunnachie, Oxford
Malaria Vaccines - The Limits and the Possibilities
BIA/MRC Clinical Research Training Fellowship (first awarded 2014)
2015 Nicholas Norton (2014-2017)
BIA Research Fellowship
2015 Robert Evans, University of Sheffield
Developing the zebrafish as a model for investigating eicosanoid signalling during cryptococcal infection
Julia Colston, University of Oxford
T cell memory “inflation” as a tool for the design of novel adenoviral vaccine strategies
2014 Dami Collier, University College London
2013 Dr Anna Goodman, University College London
Dr Tomasz Prajsnar, University of Sheffield
BIA Research Project Grants
2016 Claire Broderick, LSHTM
Latent tuberculosis infection: evaluating the transcription responses to treatment
James Price, University of Sussex
Does cryptic carriage explain apparent acquisition of Staphylococcus aureus?
Naomi Walker, LSHTM
Matrix Degradation Products (MDPs) for TB diagnosis
2015 Paul Collini, University of Sheffield
Geraldine O'Hara, LSHTM
Brendan Payne, University of Newcastle
2014 Daniel Neill, University of Liverpool
Philippa Matthews, Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust
Chris Duncan, Newcastle University
BIA Clinical Exchange Award
2016 Michael Benedict, University of Liverpool - Institute of Infection & Global Health
Using Intravital multiphoton microscopy to visualise leucocyte chemotaxis in a murine model of herpes simplex encephalitis
2015 Geraldine O'Hara, LSHTM
2014 Steven Ray, University of Liverpool
BIA Travel Awards
2016 Daniel O'Connor, University of Oxford, Oxford Vaccine Group
Kyriaki Giorgakoudi, University of Cambridge Disease Dynamics Unit
CMTB at the University of Nottingham - Infectious disease modelling and public health policy
2015 Thomas C Darton, Sheffield Teaching Hospital Trust
9th International Conference on Typhoid and Invasive NTS Disease
Louise Frances Hill, London School of Hygiene & Trop Med
33rd Annual Meeting of the European Society for Paediatric Infectious Diseases (ESPID)
Sara Brilha, Imperial College London
Poster Presentation Final yr of PhD. ECI in Vienna
Elvire Berthenet, Swansea University
Speaker Award winner for CHRO meeting in NZ
Stephen Tuffs, Roslin Institute
Oral presentation at Staph mtg in Gordon conference Tuscany
Fadil Bidmo, Imperial College London
Poster at European Meningococcal disease Society Amsterdam
2014 Clark Russell, University of Edinburgh
Defres Sylviane, University of Liverpool
Enrique Castro Sanchez, Imperial College London
Clare Turner, Imperial College London
Megan Osbourne, Queen's University Belfast
Frontiers of Immunology in Health & Disease, Sept 2014
Sabrina Roberts, Kingston University London
XIXth International Pathogenic Neisseria Conf (IPNC), October 2014
Madeleine Malina, Royal Free Hospital London
Jennifer Roe, University College London
Jamie Whitehorn, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
2013 Felicia Lim; Paul McAdam
BIA Travel From Overseas Award
Prize Winners from BIA Annual Meetings
Spring 2016 (19th Annual Meeting)
Free Scientific Paper Presentation
1st Claire Turner, Imperial College, London
Discovery of an epidemic lineage of group A Streptococcus with enhanced nasopharyngeal infection and transmission
2nd Ji Soo Baik, Imperial College London
Investigating vancomycin therapy across secondary care pathways: are we dosing patients appropriately?
Clinical Case Sara Boyd, Imperial College London
A helpful pre-operative fever
Poster Prize Andrew Kemp, Nottingham University NHS Hospitals Trust
Alcohol gels: More harm than good?
Spring 2015 (18th Annual Meeting)
Free Scientific Paper Presentation
1st Emma Johnson, Sheffield Teaching Hospital
2nd Tom Winfield, Imperial College London
Clinical Case Megan Jenkins
Poster Prize Joanna Randall
Trainees Presentation Prize No award made 2015
Spring 2014 (17th Annual Meeting)
Free Scientific Paper Presentation
1st Meghan Perry, Western General Edinburgh
Arsenic, antimony & Leishmania
2nd Paul Collini, University of Sheffield
HIV-1 reduces macrophage apoptosis-associated killing of streptococcus pneumoniae
Clinical Case Thomas Lavender, Royal Victoria Infirmary
A tale of two Darlington Heliophiles
Poster Prize Celia Jackson, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine
The diagnostic challenges of malaria: current perceptions and practices in the Tanga region of Tanzania
Trainees Presentation Prize Lucy Rivett, Addenbrookes
Fulminant hepatitis after Rituximab
Glasgow University Meeting
Best Oral Prize A Burnham
Best Poster Prize A Wilson
2014 Dr David Eyre, University of Oxford: Whole genome sequencing in your lab - opportunity or distraction?
- 2013 Dr Dimitria Peppa, Mortimer Market Centre, CNWL NHS Foundation Trust: Natural Killer cells in chronic hepatitis B virus infection: Friend or foe?
- 2012 Dr Manish Pareek, University of Leicester: Immigrant screening for tuberculosis: a missed opportunity to improve tuberculosis control in the United Kingdom
- 2011 Dr Joe Jarvis, London: Novel Strategies for Treatment and Prevention of HIV-associated Cryptococcal Meningitis
- 2010 Dr Susanna Dunnachie, Oxford: Malaria Vaccines - The Limits and the Possibilities
- 2009 Rod Escombe, Imperial College: Tuberculosis transmission, infectiousness and infection control.
- 2008 Dr Anthony Solomon, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine: Can azithromycin help to eliminate trachoma by the year 2020?
- 2007 Dr Daniel Webster, University of Oxford: Trials and tribulations.
- 2006 Dr John Frater, University of Oxford: HIV and immune escape – what is the cost of viral evolution?
- 2005 Dr Mahdad Noursadeghi, UCL, London: Innate Immunity and the Acute Phase Response.
- 2004 Dr Guy Thwaites, Brighton & Sussex University Hospital: Tuberculous Meningitis: New Challenges, Old Solutions.
- 2003 Dr Nicholas Price, Department of infectious Diseases, Imperial College, London: Tadpole tales and tissue destruction in tuberculosis.
- 2002 Steven Lawn, St George’s Hospital Medical School, London: AIDS in Africa: the impact of coinfections on HIV-1 pathogenesis.
- 2001 Dr Karen Robinson, University of Nottingham: Self-defence against meningococcal disease.
- 2000 Dr David Dockrell, University of Sheffield Medical School: Apoptotic cell death in the pathogenesis of infectious diseases – to apoptose or not to apoptose?
- 1999 Dr Mark Evans, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine: Mycobacterium ulcerans: an emerging disease.
- 1998 Dr Richard Bellamy, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford: Host genetics and infectious diseases: current progress in the search for mycobacterial susceptibility genes.
- 1997 Dr Andy Hamilton, London: Fungal superoxide dismutase - heterogeneity in form and function.
- 1996 Dr Jonathan Kerr, Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast: Studies of parvovirus B19 infection.
- 1995 Dr Annette Jepson, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford: Infection and the new genetics.
- 1992 Dr Peter Flegg, City Hospital, Edinburgh: The natural history of HIV infection in Edinburgh drug users.
- 1991 Dr Sunil Shaunak, Hammersmith Hospital, London: Mechanisms determining HIV infection of CNS derived cells and the use of PCR to detect early neurological involvement.
BIA (BIS) Research Fellowship: previous winners
- 2013 Dr Anna Goodman, University College London; Dr Tomasz Prajsnar, University of Sheffield
- 2009 NO AWARD PENDING MERGER WITH AMM
- 2008 Dr. Richard Maude, Oxford University.
- 2007 Dr. Thushan de Silva. MRC Unit The Gambia
- 2006 Dr Ravi Gupta, University College London; Dr Brendan Payne, University of Newcastle
- 2005 Dr Sarah Anderson, University College London; Dr Rachel Exley, Imperial College London
- 2004 Dr Tihana Bicanic, St Georges Hospital Medical School
- 2003 Dr Jeremy Day, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool
- 2002 Dr Megan Cornere, Imperial College, London
BIS International Fellowship
- 2003 Ms Piengchan Sonthayanon, Wellcome Trust Unit, Bangkok and Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Thailand
BIS Clinical Exchange Award
- 2009 NO AWARD PENDING MERGER WITH AMM
- 2008 Dr.Christine Jones, St. Mary’s Hospital/University of Cape Town
- 2006 Dr Steven Walker, LSHTM
- 2004 Dr William Hope, University of Manchester
- 2001 Dr Nichola Jones, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford
BIS Autumn Trainees' Meeting Best Presentation Prize
- 2007 Dr Juliet Elvy, Royal Devon and Exeter Foundation NHS Trust, Exeter
- 2006 Dr Clare L Taylor, North Manchester General Hospital
- 2005 Dr Lionel Tan, Royal Free Hospital, London
BIS Spring Meeting Presentation Prize
- 2012 Moerida Belton, Imperial College; L C Goodwin, Liverpool
- 2007 Dr Neil Jenkins, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine
- 2006 Dr Michael Brown, Northwick Park Hospital, Harrow, Middlesex
- 2005 Ms Abigael Hopkins, HPS Scotland
- 2004 Dr Charlotte Hawkey, Northwick Park Hospital, Harrow, Middlesex
- 2004 Dr John Northfield, University of Oxford, Oxford
- 2003 Dr R Phillips, Komfo Anoke Teaching Hospital, Kumasi, Ghana & St George's Hospital Medical School, London
- 2002 Dr Ian Teo, Imperial College, London
- 2001 Dr Gail Thomson, North Manchester General Hospital
- 2000 Dr Madhad Noursadeghi, Imperial College London
BIS Spring Meeting Clinical Case Presentation Prize
- 2012 Amandip Sahota, Leicester; Richard Maude, Worcester
- 2006 Dr Nikhil Premchand, Newcastle
- 2005 Dr Anjali Shetty, Department of Microbiology, Cardiff
- 2004 Dr Donald Inverarity, Department of Medical Microbiology, Glasgow Royal Infirmary
- 2004 Dr Erica Peters, Department of Infectious Diseases, Gartnavel Hospital, Glasgow (combined BIS/SGM Meeting)
- 2003 Dr Penny Smith, Royal Free Hospital, London
- 2002 Dr Steven Lawn, Hospital for Tropical Diseases, London
BIS Small Grant Awards
- 2009 NO AWARD PENDING MERGER WITH AMM
- 2008 Dr. Sarah Bailey, University of Sussex; Dr.Louis Grandjean, Imperial College; Dr. Jonathon Tyrell-Price, Imperial College
- 2007 Dr. T. Curran, Royal Victoria Belfast; Dr. Andrew Kirby, Liverpool University; Dr. D. Peppa, Mortimer Market Centre; Dr. P. Robertson, Gartnavel General Hospital
BIA Clinical Exchange Award & Small Research Project Grant
- 2013 Gayti Islam, University of Sheffield; Joby Cole, University of Sheffield; Alex Cochrane, University of Bristol and North Bristol NHS Trust; Anna Goodman, University College London
- 2012 Tom Wingfield, North Manchester General Hospital; Catriona Waitt, University of Liverpool
BIS Prizes at FIS Meeting
- 2007 BIS/MSD Bursary for best presentation Phillippa Mathews, University of Oxford.
- 2007 BIS Travel Bursary for best presentation Rachael Moores, Imperial College London.
- 2007 BIS/MSD Travel Award (anti-microbial resistance) Murial Marufa and Miranda Bachelor, HPA Centre for Infections, London.
- 2007 BIS/MSD Prize for best presentation (ESBLs) Kerry Williams, Royal Free Hospital
- 2007 Best Clinical Lesson Jane Davies, Royal Liverpool University Hospital
- 2006 BIS/MSD Bursary for best presentation Derek Sloan, Liverpool.
- 2006 BIS Travel Bursary for best presentation Fiona Cooke, Sanger centre, University of Cambridge.
- 2006 BIS/MSD Travel Award for best presentation (anti-infectives) Karen Bowker, Bristol.
- 2006 BIS/MSD Prize for best presentation (resistant gram negatives) Dearbhaille Morris, University College Galway
- 2005 BIS/MSD Bursary for Best presentation Dr. Carolyn Hemsley, CMMI, Imperial College London
- 2005 BIS/Sanofi-Aventis Bursary for Best presentation Dr. Susie Jerwood, Worthing Hospital, Sussex
- 2005 BIS/MSD Travel prize (anti-infectives) Dr. David Wyllie, Oxford
- 2005 BIS/MSD Travel Prize (resistant gram-negatives) Dr. Suganya Reddy, Preston
- 2005 Best Clinical Lesson Dr. Thushan Da Silva, Sheffield
- 2004 BIS Travel Bursary (Best Oral presentation): Dr Paul Morrison, Hammersmith Hospital, Imperial College London
- 2004 BIS Travel Bursary (Best Poster presentation): Dr Julie Andrews, Hospital for Tropical Diseases, UCH, London
- 2003 BIS/Aventis Best Oral Presentation: Dr Brendan Healy, Dept. of Microbiology, UHW, Heath Park, Cardiff
- 2003 BIS/Aventis Best Poster Presentation: Dr Carolyn Hemsley, Dept of Infectious Diseases, Centre for Molecular Microbiology and Infection, Imperial College London
- 2003 BIS Travel Bursary for an excellent presentation: Dr Julia Grieg, Dept of Infectious Diseases & Tropical Medicine, Heartlands Hospital, Birmingham
- 2002 BIS/Aventis Pharma Best Oral Presentation: Dr Sue Snape, Institute of Infection and Immunity, University of Nottingham
- 2002 BIS/Aventis Pharma Best Poster Presentation: Ms Tina Miles, Department of Infectious Diseases and Microbiology, Imperial College London
- 2002 BIS Travel Bursaries Best Oral presentation: Dr Neil Jenkins, Tropical and Infectious Diseases Unit, Royal Liverpool University Hospital
- 2002 BIS Travel Bursaries Best Poster presentation: Dr Claire Donnelly, Division of Infectious Diseases, Cork University, Ireland
- 2000 BIS/HMR Best Oral Presentation: Dr D Burgner, Paediatric Infectious Diseases Unit, St Mary's Hospital
- 2000 BIS/HMR Best Poster Presentation: Dr Mark Meltzer, Dept of Microbiology, St Thomas' Hospital
BIS Travel Awards
- 2006 Dr Mahabaleshwar Albur, Middlesborough; Ms Penelope Gamiri, University of Bristol; Dr Alessandro Pasqualotto, School of Medicine, University of Manchester
- 2004 Dr. Frank Post, Guy's, King's, and St. Thomas' School of Medicine
- 2003 Dr Nashaba Matin, Health Protection Agency, Collindale, London; Dr Lori Synder, Sir William Dunn School of Pathology, Oxford
- 2002 Dr Kyle Knox, Department of Microbiology, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford; Dr Nicola Jones, Department of Microbiology, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford; Dr Shamez Ladhani, New General Hospital, London; Dr Cressida Auckland, Southampton PHL; Dr Gavin Barlow, University of Dundee, Scotland; Dr Martin Llewelyn, Imperial College London
- 2001 Dr Lori Snyder, Sir William Dunn School of Pathology, Oxford; Dr David Wareham, Homerton Hospital, London
- 2000 Dr Nicholas Price, Imperial College, Hammersmith Hospital, London; Dr Anna-Maria Murdin-Geretti, King's College, London
BHIVA/BIS Prizes 2007
- Best oral presentation: Tihana Bicanic, St George's. Immune reconstitution in HIV-associated cryptococcal meningitis: incidence, risk factors, clinical features and CSF response.
- Best poster: Emma Thompson, Imperial College London. Delayed antibody seroconversion in HIV-positive men superinfected with hepatitis C virus.