National Clinical Excellence Awards
To apply for BIA support applicants should submit their ACCEA form including any supplementary forms to BIA by 17:30 on Wednesday 1st April 2020. BIA will acknowledge receipt of applications received. The applicant should submit their own application to ACCEA and BIA will add the citations for those individuals who receive support separately.
Paul Ashwell (Lay member)
Albert Mifsud (London)
Richard Bellamy (Middlesborough)
Fiona Cooke (Cambridge)
Priya Khanna (London)
Katie Jeffery (Oxford)
Mas Chaponda (Liverpool)
Shiranee Sriskandan (London)
Apply to BIA for a citation;
Please submit your applications, using the national forms below.
1. Complete Application Form A for submission to BIA only (applications to ACCEA can only be made using the online application system).
2. Additional information for domains 3, 4 and 5 can be submitted using one or more of the supplementary forms (see below for restrictions):
a) Research and Innovation (Form D)
b) Teaching and Training (Form E)
c) Medical Leadership (Form F)
a) Bronze or Silver candidates may choose to submit ONE of the supplementary forms listed above with their application form.
b) Gold candidates may choose to submit up to TWO of the supplementary forms listed above with their application form.
c) Platinum candidates may choose to submit up to THREE of the supplementary forms listed above with their application form.
Email your form(s) to BIA@hartleytaylor.co.uk to arrive not later than 17:30 on Wednesday 1st April, 2020.
BIA Secretariat will confirm receipt of your application by return email (please make sure you get in touch with BIA if not received)
BIA is recognised by the Department of Health as a Specialist Society that can support a number of members' applications, and will support as many members as permitted by the regulations. We will be entitled to offer support for those seeking renewal of existing awards as well as those seeking new awards. You should not wait for notification of BIA support before submitting your application to your own employers.
Consultants are advised to read the instructions from the ACCEA very carefully, as requirements and penalties for failure to follow instructions are more severe than previously. In particular, those who are asking for renewal of an existing award should put as much effort into their forms as if they are seeking a new award, and should seek support from their sponsor(s) such as BIA as well as from their Trust and/or academic employer.
The four most common errors, potentially leading to reduction in scoring and ranking or difficulties uploading citations are:
- Failure to be clear what years the work has been done in. It is essential to stress what has been achieved in the last 4-5 years since the last award if you already have one (including any local discretionary points /awards)
- Failure to include a clear outline of overall job plan including total PAs paid in main contract (both NHS and academic or other external) and any extra paid PAs and any on-call uplift, and to show how much extra work you do that is unpaid
- Repetition of the same activity/output across different domains of the form
- Failure to include correct personal GMC number and total PAs worked (often wrong and/or omitted) on the first page of the CVQ.