- About BIA
- Research & Training
- Professional Affairs
Submitted by admin on July 26, 2008 - 16:30
HIV Trainees' Club
The HIV Trainees' Club (HIVTC) organises training workshops in HIV medicine (GUM and ID), and is run for trainees, by trainees.
See hivtc.org.uk for more information.
LearnInfection is a UK resource for trainees in all infection specialties, supported by BIA. The challenging question bank covers all areas of infection medicine, with explanations and links to key references. There is a particular focus on difficult areas such as hospital infection control, parasitology and mycology.
Material is written by authors all over the country, including recent examination candidates, and moderated by senior UK consultants for suitability and accuracy. It is regularly updated with new material.
LearnInfection is ideal for revising for the FRCPath or ID SCE, for new trainees or to prepare for new posts. Registration is free and can be accessed at www.learninfection.org.
Presentations from Autumn 2013 Trainees' Meeting:
Dr David Wareham, Clinical Senior Lecturer/Honorary Consultant Medical Microbiology. Centre for Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Blizard Institute
Prof Robert Masterton, Director of the Institute of Healthcare Associated Infection University of the West of Scotland
Dr Adam Fraise, Consultant Medical Microbiologist, University Hospitals Birmingham
Dr Alisdair MacConnachie, Consultant Infectious Diseases. Brownlee Centre, Glasgow
Dr Robert Hill, Head of Antibiotic Resistance Evaluation, PHE
Presentations from Spring 2012 Trainees' Meeting:
- Dr M Mirfenderesky, Dr T Bicanic: 'A Case of Mistaken Identity' (1st Prize)
- Dr A Taylor et al: 'New Drug, Old Disease' (2nd Prize)
- Dr G Winzor: 'A new technique aiding diagnosis of an emerging clinical syndrome' (3rd Prize)
- Dr V Delpech: 'HIV in the UK'
- Dr E Gotuzzo: 'HTLV-1'
- Dr J White: 'Syphillis: a clinical update'
- G Thwaites: 'Old and new antibiotics for S. aureus bacteraemia'
Presentations from Spring 2011 Trainees' Meeting:
- Dr Nicky Mackie: 'Anti-retroviral therapy: When to start, where to start'
- Dr Kathryn Harris: 'An overview of broad-range 16S rDNA PCR in the routine microbiology laboratory'
- Dr Beth White: 'A diagnostic query in a soldier who was weary...'
- Giovanni Satta: 'Is it pet or pest?'
- Dr T Saluja: 'A rare diagnosis is usually rare but...'
Presentations from Spring 2008 Trainees' Meeting:
- Dr Tom Darton: 'The Mummy's Curse'
- Dr Duncan Wyncoll: 'Adjunctive therapy for severe sepsis - interpreting the evidence base'
- Dr Anatole S Menon-Johansson: 'HAART in 2008: what and when to start'
- Prof P Tambyah: 'Special Delivery'
- Prof P Tambayah: 'A pain in the butt..'
- Prof P Tambayah: 'Emerging Infectious Diseases: Predictions for the future. The Nipah virus as a prototype...'
Presentations from June 2007 Trainees' Meeting:
- Professor Jay Keystone: 'It's the singer, not the song: How to make your presentations more effective'
- Dr Anton Pozniak: 'Multidrug Resistant Tuberculosis'
- Professor Jay Keystone: 'Tropical Dermatology'
- John White: Lymphogranuloma venereum in the UK
Presentations from September 2007 Trainees' Meeting:
- Dr Juliet Elvy: 'Exotic pets and practising vets - the perils'
- Dr Jake Dunning: 'Haemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome'